Frequently Asked Questions have been categorised into the topics located in the FAQs menu at left.
- Do I have to be a Bicycle Qld member to participate?
You don't, but if you would like to become a member of Bicycle Queensland and join 18,000 other people who receive great benefits, which include personal injury and third party insurance, discounted entry fees, 12 months subscription to Ride On magazine and regular updates on cycling developments click here.
- Is there a minimum fundraising requirement?
There is no minimum fundraising requirement for people to participate in the ride. Riders can choose to make a one-off donation during the registration process or create an Everyday Hero fundraising page once they've entered the event. Diabetes Queensland is the official event beneficiary.
- What is the women's category?
The women's category is to encourage more women to take part in the event. Rather than nominating an average speed category during registration women can nominate to simply ride together instead - camaraderie over speed. These women will receive a pink bike bib in their rider envelope and there will be an area marked accordingly on the day so they can line up and start together. We hope the group will continue to ride together to provide support and company to those who may need it along the way.
- What are the entry procedures?
To ensure your participation on ride day, please enter before the close of the online registration system.
There are four ways you can enter:
- Enter online at www.bq.org.au (closes midnight, Wednesday 3 May 2017)
- Fill out an Entry Form and post to: PO Box 5957, West End Qld, 4101 (must be received by Wednesday 3 May 2017)
- Enter in person at Bicycle Queensland Office, 20 Horan Street West End (before 5pm Wednesday 3 May 2017)
- Late entries on the day - in person at the corner of Riverside Drive and Jane Street, South Brisbane on Sunday 7 May from 5am-6am
- Can I enter now and pay later?
Payment is compulsory when entering. Entries without payment will not be accepted.
- Are there any refunds?
If the Rider wishes to withdraw from the Event they must do so in writing to Bicycle Queensland before online entries close. Rider envelopes received before this date must be returned to Bicycle Queensland before the Event in order to receive any refund. The following cancellation policy will apply:
- A 25% cancellation fee will be incurred if the Rider withdraws up until midnight Thursday 6 April.
- A 50% cancellation fee will be incurred if the Rider withdraws up until midnight Wednesday 3 May.
- No refunds will be given after online entries close and no alterations will be permitted.
- Can I change distances?
Entries can be transferred between events either by written request to Bicycle Queensland before 5pm Monday 17 April 2017. Fee difference must be paid if changing from the 40km option.
- Can I transfer my entry?
Entries cannot be transferred from one entrant to another.
- What is in the rider envelope (entry kit)?
The rider envelope contains your bike bib (rider number), timing chip (for all 110km and 75km riders - in case you change your mind and decide to take on the climb on the day!) with attachment instructions and twist ties. The timing chip sticks on your seat stem. It registers the time you cross the start and finish line points of Mt Coot-tha to calculate your hill climb time. The chip is disposable and is not required to be returned after the ride. Bicycle Queensland members will also receive a wristband to wear on the ride and for entry to the BQ member marquee at the finish site.
- How do I collect my rider envelope?
Riders who enter by Monday 17 April 2017 will automatically be sent their rider envelope in the mail - they will be posted towards the end of April. If you do not receive your envelope by Tuesday 2 May please contact the Bicycle Queensland Office on 3844 1144.
Riders who enter after Monday 17 April will need to collect their rider envelope as follows:
- Friday 5 May 8am - 6pm from Bicycle Queensland, 20 Horan Street, West End
- Saturday 6 May 9am - 11am from Bicycle Queensland, 20 Horan Street, West End
- Sunday 7 May 5am - 6am from the Bicycle Queensland marquee at the corner of Riverside Drive and Jane Street in South Brisbane
If you are not able to collect your rider envelope, someone may do it on your behalf.
- Does entry include insurance?
Entry in to this event does not include Bicycle Queensland membership, and so does not automatically include insurance coverage. We recommend that all event participants either take out Bicycle Queensland membership, or hold their own bicycle riders insurance and private health insurance. Bicycle Queensland members get personal injury and third-party liability insurance. This means if you damage yourself, someone else or their property while out riding - including on the Great Brisbane Bike Ride – then as a member you're covered (conditions apply). Check out www.bq.org.au/join for a list of benefits or call us on 07 3844 1144 for more information.